Why Dress Like That?
Most often when I hear that question it's referring to the fact that I do not wear pants, shorts, and I strive to be as modest as possible..and as feminine as possible!
This has been an offence to some Christian girls, for some reason. I do not understand... And Ladies that wear dresses, and skirts all the time are also sometimes labeled as weird, or "holier than thou" and that their desire for modesty and holiness is superficial and shallow.
I have met girls that take it that way, because of one person they have met with a attitude that she was better than anyone because of the way she dressed, and that gave them the idea every one was like that. The way of dress is such a battle, and such a controversy in the Christian girl's life. But it shouldn't be. It should be one of the many areas that is surrendered to God, and therefore should please God. We shouldn't have to fight for our way in this area... we should want it to be approved by our Saviour, not by fashion, or by our peers.The way we dress often identifies us with something. Does the way you dress identify you with Christ? Or something else?
I am not judging or degrading any of you that do not dress like me. The issue of wearing pants, and dressing modestly is a personal decision..that you need to make between you and God. But I have made my decision, and I believe I have scripture to back it.
I'd like to share a few things with ya'll...
First...Why are pants so wrong for ladies?
A lot of Christians, and the world will argue that pants can be completely modest...And that as long as you are not showing skin, and you're heart is right it's okay. Some will even argue that the Bible has no bearings on this subject, because men didn't wear pants in bible times, so pants aren't in the bible.
I beg to differ, here's a verse that just floors that argument...
Deuteronomy 22:5 "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man,
neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination
unto the LORD thy God."
1 Timothy 2:9-10 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest
apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or
pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with
good works."
1 Peter 3:3 "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;"
1 Peter 3:3 "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;"
So basically a Christian lady should not dress like a man. That first verse clearly states that, does it not? We can not say that Old Testament is less relevant today, because ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God. And the fact that men of bible times didn't wear pants also does not cross this verse out..because we are supposed to apply God's word to our lives today. So if we did, what would we say is clothing pertaining to a man? We know that pants, slacks, breeches, are man's clothing. To change man's pants into women's pants..we take away modesty, why?
We make them tighter, form fitting. In all reality there is no way to modestly wear pants.
And we lose our femininity, our identity as a woman when we put on the man's apparel. There is no question when a woman wears a dress or skirt she is a woman!
1 Timothy 2:9-10 "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."
We women can dress the way we want, and forget modesty. We can wear things too short, too low, too tight, and claim that it doesn't bother us and it shouldn't bother the men around us(it's their problem, they must have filthy minds or something) we can also claim those verses don't exist and God doesn't care if we dress like everybody else, He loves us no matter what.
BUT..the fact remains, it does matter. Modesty matters! Christian woman, first of all you should respect your body enough to remember.. You are not your own, You are God's now! You don't have to flaunt your body, like a shiny toy. You are a treasure, and as a Christian you should value your worth in Christ! Most of our earthly fathers, know how important it is to cover up, and they will not approve certain things in our wardrobe (if they are good fathers), so much the more we should seek the approval and guidance from our Heavenly Father about our modesty and what we should wear from day to day. His word clearly shows us that we should adorn ourselves in modest apparel...
Not to mention our HUGE responsibility to our brothers in Christ. We shouldn't cause them to stumble, or lust by the way we dress immodestly. Or by the way we act... remember we should also adorn ourselves with shamefacedness(another word for extremely modest) and sobriety(sober or solemn-not so loud and over bearing) Pushing ourselves on a guy, by showing our bodies will never bring happiness, or what we think we want. A relationship built on lust, will never last.
We as Christian ladies are held accountable for how we dress, it doesn't make you a better person if you don't wear pants, and if you cover completely up from head to toe, it is a decision you must make between you and God.
"Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."
(James 4:17)
Wearing skirts and dresses, choosing to look like a girl... is a wonderful feeling.
To really embrace what you are, what God made me to be, a woman. Is a precious thing, I don't want to give up. And loving my Lord, and my future husband enough to choose modesty. Why do I dress like this? Because again I believe that this is what God wants in my life, and I believe if every Girl that wants to profess godliness should search this out, examine her heart, and her wardrobe, and make sure it is truly pleasing to her Heavenly Father.
Next post sometime this week.... "Why Can't I Listen to My Music?"



Keep up the great posts! I enjoy reading them! :) Btw, the new of your blog is cute!
ReplyDeletehttp://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/
I'm loving this series! Keep on keeping on girl! Keep letting God use you! ♥
ReplyDeleteHi Rebekah!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post, it is something I have been praying about for sooooo long! I don't wear skirts all the time, but I would like to. Problem is people and I am talking Christian, think I am weird or "legalistic." My children attend a Christian school and yet not one mom has my views on modesty. It is so frustrating! I live in NJ and even our conservative Baptist church doesn't preach modesty and the women come to church in jeans! It is a tough area here, but do you have any advice? I prayed about this last night and read your post today, so I really feel God is leading me somewhere with this.... Thanks! Keep up the great posts!
I am really enjoying reading this series of posts.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
Thank you Ladies!! My next post will be coming soon.. Mrs.Sharon, wow Thank you so much for reading my post. Like I said in my post, I would never tell anyone what to do, when it comes to dress. It's a decision between you and God. But it does sound like the Lord is trying to show you what He wants. Follow the spirit's leading, and be bold as a lion, like Proverbs 28:1 says. I know it can be hard to really take an extra step in our dress, when Christians around us seem to judge us, or take it in the wrong way. But when it comes down to it, we have to ultimately please God and do what He wants. I'll be praying for you as you try and make a stand for modesty and Godly dress. let me know how everything goes ☺
ReplyDeleteWell said, Rebekah. I - and my girls - are full-time dress/skirt wearers and we get "looks"...and not just from the world, but from Christians, too. But that's ok with us. We're just doing what the Lord wants us to do; it's between us and Him, and really noone else's business. However, if I am asked about the reason for dressing like this, I am more than happy to explain my convictions. :)
ReplyDeleteHope you have a blessed day!
And btw, I am your newest follower. :)
~ Lisa
Question: when you said about wearing dresses AND being feminine. You talk about that all the time? Are you referring to a girl being tomboy-ish while still being modest or strictly about wearing skirts and dresses?
ReplyDeleteThank you Lisa ☺ What a blessing to "meet" like-minded ladies! And thank you for following!!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous, Thank you for your question. I'm not sure I quite know what you're asking, but I'll try to answer. When I speak of wearing dresses/skirts and being feminine, I simply mean dressing modestly and wearing dresses does make it easier to be feminine and to fully embrace being a woman. I also believe wearing pants, or jeans makes it very hard to be feminine or modest. Because to be very honest, when a woman wears pants it outlines parts of her body, that should not be accentuated. I talk about being feminine, because I believe a Christian woman, should fully be all God intended her to be. She should be a woman. Not a man. But I also believe that a woman can be feminine, while still being a little tom-boyish (I mean by that, I love to fish, and work outside, and get dirty sometimes lol) Anyway I'm not exactly sure that's the answer you were looking for but I hope it helped.
Great post Rebekah! Very well written. I struggled with this for years, but I finally gave it to God and am better off for it! :)
ReplyDeleteI'd like to try to help you answer anyonymous' question. I have six children, 4 boys and 2 girls, with the girls being the youngest. My youngest daughter is 7 1/2 and very much a "tom-boy." She loves all the things her big brothers do and then some. We have no problem with this as long as she maintains her femininity and modesty. In todays society most tom-boys would rather be boy-like than be the little girls God intended them to be. They don't want to play with dolls, wear dresses or in general do anything that is considered girlie. What makes it truly sad is most mothers encourage this. I love that my daughter likes to play with her brothers, that she can throw a baseball as good (if not better) than any boy her age, but I also love that she loves her baby dolls, all things frilly, butterflies and girl movies. Her father and I encourage her feminine side as well as allow her to explore her outdoorsy side. :) God made her that way and we love her for it. All that being said, she still dresses very modest and feminine while playing inside or outside. It allows for her to still look and feel like a girl while doing more "boy like" activities.
Thank you again for this post, it addresses a very talked about subject.
Thank you so much! I live in Australia, and even though it is sooooooooo hot a lot of the time, I still only wear decent dresses and skirts/tops (most Aussies in hot areas do not wear much . . .). Being feminine and dressing modestly is very scriptural and what every Christian young lady should endeavour to do. Oh, yes it is hard, but hey, it will not seem to have been hard when we are kneeling at the feet of our Saviour one day!! I totally agree with you - thank you again!
ReplyDelete