Friday, August 5, 2011

What's Your Music doing to You?

I know what your thinking....Oh No....Don't touch my music!!!
It's not bothering anyone, and it's not doing anything, so don't go preaching on it...right?
Ok I'm not going to preach I'm just going to tell you the truth, the truth I've found out for myself, not from books I've read, not from sermons, not from talks with preachers, But from my own personal experience. What Music can do to You.

 

Girls, well most of us, we speak though our music, and our dress.....when we are happy, sad, depressed, close to God, drifting from the Lord, whatever....you can usually see it in our dress or music. Our Music does alot for us, it takes us places....it changes our moods, Music is a good thing, God gave it to us, for Joy, and for Praise. But the Devil has used his music to do some terrible things in our lives. A while back, I guess you would say I dropped the standard in my music...

I started listening to the happy feeeeeel good stuff ya know?? just a little song here or there, and I loved it, and thought nothing was wrong, I mean what could it do to me?
I love music, it's a huge part of my life, the devil knew that....I didn't even see where that music was taking me, what it was making me desire, or how it was drawing me away from the Lord.
As a single young lady, I was listening to love songs, and it was making me long for the wrong kind, the world's kind of love.

You may think that you can listen to the good kind of the world's music, happy, love songs, with that mushy feeling good sound, and it does nothing to you. You're stronger than me, maybe and it doesn't pull you down.Hmmmmm


So I have to admit I had that little thing inside me saying, "this isn't right, I mean what if the Lord came back and I'm sitting here jamming to this song about crazy love.....I should be listening to christian music, not this junk...right???" But I ignored it, and said there's nothing wrong with singing a love song, so I pushed my favorite Christian songs aside, and replaced them with my new favorite songs.

I started dressing a little more on the edge, I started looking for the wrong things in the wrong people, I started questioning things I believed in my heart to be true, I started lusting after those things in the world......and I forgot about what I was doing to my Lord, how I was hurting Him. He saw every time I chose to sing about my love for the world, instead of His Amazing Love.....He saw every time I picked up a magazine, or my phone, or a "christian" romance novel, instead of His Holy Word, His Love Letter to me.....He was there, He saw it all, Oh how I hurt Him, but His mercy endured....

 

"My Music" took me where I did not need to go, and when I came to the end of myself, when I finally woke up to what I was doing, and how far I had ventured out on my own.....I was afraid, I cried out where is Jesus? Where am I? How'd I get here??? I cried out to God, for forgiveness, for mercy, what had I done?? And you know what? He was there, I had hurt Him, I had ignored Him, I had left His will, I had left His joy, but He was there waiting for me, with loving arms He wrapped them around me, and covered me with His blood, hid me in His refuge. Gave me my song back, Healed my heart, a friend reminded me of a line from one of her favorite hymns..."Chords that are Broken will Vibrate once more!" That's what He did!!

When I came back, when God showed His mercy, forgiveness, and love, do you think I wanted to listen to that music that got me started in the way that led me there???? No, I threw it away, I hate to say this but it was hard to let go of those things, but I couldn't hear those words again, I couldn't hurt my Lord again, I wanted to sing songs about His blood, about His Love, I wanted His music!!!!



I know what Music does for me.....I've seen what music did to some of my friends......I know that music is not everything, but it's a big part of our lives, and if we are not honoring God in our music, then we have not surrendered all, we are not as close to God as we can be, we are letting the devil and the world fill our hearts and minds, with their "Good" music.
Don't push it aside like I did, give your music to God, don't hold it back.....because it can take you where you'll think you want to be, and then find out the words, the songs what they promise, it's all empty, it's all fake, Praise the Lord with your voice, He is worthy of our Praise, I want to sing for Him, I want to listen to songs that bring me closer to Him, not draw me away.

You may not agree, but I still believe with all my heart that a Girl that loves the Lord, and sees what He has done for her, and wants to please Him, will want to do all she can to lift up His Name, will dress to bring honor to Him, because of what He has done she'll want to do right, She'll sing for Him, and want to stay so close to Him. That's why I do, what I do, Why I serve Him, Why I can't go there again in my music, why my skirts are no longer just on the edge, and ifffy I mean Most Christian people wouldn't think anything wrong with that music, and I didn't walk around with a mini skirt on, But I know where it was leading, and how it was drawing, why mess with it? Because my goodness, God showed mercy on me, He deserves a child that will seek to look, and act a child of the king...I don't deserve His Love, and mercy.....or another chance But By God's grace, My Music will always bring Glory to Him, Don't You think we should seek to please Him in every area....

even our *~Music~*


 
"And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God:
many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:3 (KJV)

6 comments:

  1. *AWESOME* post, Rebekah! Music is a BIG part of my life too, and I do struggle with stuff like that, too. What a blessing:)
    ~Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Great Post.

    this was true in my life as well, and music was the start of most of my backsliding.

    But God showed mercy and GRACE and I'm back in the place i should be.

    God bless
    mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :) Its awesome to see other Christian girls stand up for God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That was good. Like really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post! There are so many Christians who are blindly listening to the wrong kind of music, and don't realize how far they are drifting away from God. I myself have been guilty of the same thing before, but thankfully the Lord turned my desires back to Him.

    ReplyDelete